In the spring of 1899, committed neighbors held a home meeting on Newkirk Avenue that led to the formation of the Flatbush Congregational Church.
In the summer of 1899, Sunday worships were held in a Masonic Lodge on Flatbush Avenue, between Caton and Church Avenues.
By September 1899, their membership was 39 members.
On November 5, 1899 they moved to a store on Flatbush Avenue,
between Cortelyou and Dorchester Roads.
They subsequently purchased land on Dorchester Road; and upon the open land they built a church that was dedicated on October 14,1900.
That wooden church, we call : The “Concert Hall.”
The membership was then 121 members.
By October 2, 1910, they erected and dedicated a 2nd church building upon the Dorchester Road section of the land.
That majestic bricked building is the building in which we now worship.
On May 27, 1942, At a Special Corporate Meeting, The Flatbush Congregational Church voted to merge with the Tompkins Avenue Congregational Church;
Thus becoming: The Flatbush-Tompkins Congregational Church.
On October 4, 1942, the first service of the combined churches was held. It was Holy Communion Service.
In 1943, according to the 1950 yellow book, Active Members of the merged churches was close to 4000 members, thus making the church one of the largest Congregational Church membership, here in the United States of America.
Can we grow this church membership again?
With God as our leader;
And with all of us: Members & Non-members
Working harmoniously together;
YES WE CAN!!